So you can probably guess what’s in this sandwich by the name. But I want to tell you about this killer hot sandwich I made for Craig and me the last two nights. We went to our annual BBQ at our friend Richie and Cheryl’s parents house this past weekend. Our input to the party was crostini appetizers topped with fresh tomato, mozzarella, and pesto. We bought the pesto pre-made since the kitchen was constantly packed with people and I brought the rest of the pesto home. Here’s what I decided to do with it…
Fresh baguette (I used whole wheat, only $1.99 at Fairway for about a 2 feet long piece)
Fresh salted mozzarella
Tomatoes (I used vine because their juicy, a nice red color and cheaper then beefsteak)
Pesto (buy pre-bought or check out my pesto recipe in the Healthy Eats section)
Poultry seasoning or salt and pepper
1. Cut the chicken into strips. Season with either poultry seasoning (I use Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends® Poultry) or salt and pepper
2. Heat oil in stove, cook chicken on both sides until cooked through.
3. While cooking the chicken, 1) cut mozzarella into thick slices. 2) Cut tomatoes into slices, 3) Toast bread
4. After bread is toasted, spread pesto on both sides and place on Pam sprayed baking pan. Turn on the broiler
5. Top one of the slices with tomatoes
6. Top other slice with chicken and then mozzarella on top of the chicken so that it covers the entire slice (I personally like a lot of yummy goey melted mozz)
7. Place in broiler for approximately 7 minutes or until mozzarella begins to turn a bit brown.
8. Smush two sides of sandwich together and go nuts
BONUS: Scrape off the cheese that falls onto the baking pan for a delicious crispy yet gooey bite
This is filling and other than some cheese and the oil in the pesto, it’s all low in fat so I consider this a typical “hearty but healthy” Molly meal. Enjoy 🙂