I got the idea for this recipe from a cookbook Craig’s sister Natalie gave me, by Canadian sister cooks Janet and Greta Podleski. They are celebrities on Canada’s Food Network. I created this dish for Dexter premiere night, in which our dear friends Jordan and Shawn (love you guys!) came over for dinner and to watch. What a great night. They really enjoyed and requested the recipe (thank you!) so I wanted to share it with all of my friends too. This recipe feeds around 8. I made it big because I love me some leftovers. It looks sloppy but it was a delish Mexican meal.
Also, it might not be the healthiest meal but it’s not gluttonousness either. Somewhere happily in the middle between healthy and guilty pleasure.
2 packages of whole-wheat tortillas
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 jar of salsa
20 oz of your favorite marinara tomato sauce (mine is Rinaldi’s)
2 lb. ground beef (you can substitute turkey or chicken if you prefer)
1 package of shredded cheddar of Mexican blend cheese
1 red onion, diced
1/2 bundle of green onions, diced
Assortment of peppers of your choosing (bell pepper, serrano, piquillo, poblano, jalapeno…just make sure nothing is too spicy for your taste). Diced, approximately 1-1.5 cups
cilantro (I used dried but you can choose between dried or fresh)
fat free cooking spray
1. Spray large (the biggest you got) sautee pan with cooking spray, medium heat. Add red onion, 2/3 of green onions, and peppers. Spray them with more cooking spray. Sautee for 2 minutes. Add beef. Season with 1/2 tsp each of cumin, chili powder, cilantro, and salt. Cook while stirring/breaking up meat for 10 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce. Add 1/2 tsp of 3 seasonings again. Turn down to medium low and let simmer for 20 more minutes, or until the majority of the liquid/moisture has been absorbed and the mixture has thickened up.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. While the meat mixture is cooking, add corn, beans, and salsa to another sautee pan. Add 1/2 tsp of seasonings. Cook on medium low for 5-7 minutes.
5. Take a large roasting pan and line the bottom with tortillas. Cut some in half to fill the spaces. Next add a layer of the meat mixture, then a layer of bean and corn mixture. Top with 1/3 packet of shredded cheese.
6. Place another layer of tortillas on top, covering entirely. Repeat layers of meat, beans, cheese.
7. Top with one more layer of tortillas, cover with remaining cheese.
8. Cover with tin foil and cook for 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve topped with sour cream and remaining green onions.
¡Disfruten la comida! (enjoy the meal)