Every year, new Christmas albums come out from wide varieties of artists. But no matter how many are released, Michael Bublé’s 2011 Chrismas will forever be at the top of the list. The man’s voice is like butter – silky, stunning, full of character and perfect tone. Nothing will put you in the holiday mood like listening to his incredible versions of these beloved tunes, all polished with his special touches.
In honor of his fourth NBC Christmas Special, airing Wednesday night, let’s talk about all the reasons why Christmas is as good as it gets for getting in the holiday spirit. Not every song is mentioned below but almost!
1) When he sings the opening “It’s Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas,” you can literally feel yourself getting more and more pumped for the holiday season.
2) “Jingle Bells” features the fabulous Puppini Sisters, a retro-sounding vocal trio whose sound is characterized with a swing, burlesque feel. These ladies help bring “Bells” alive in a vibrant, exciting way and it is a version of the song you’ll never forget.
3) SHANIA. Michael’s “White Christmas” duet with the amazing Shania Twain is an album highlight. It is superb in every way. Her outstanding voice has been missing for years and she sounds as good a ever. The notes she chooses and the harmony of their two voices are just to-die. If you haven’t heard it, change that this instant.
4) Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas” is a holiday staple and just fabulous. But Michael’s version of it is different enough to make you forget it is even a cover. The slowed-down version is a bit moodier in just the right ways and is another highlight of the album.
5) You can almost hear Michael smiling during his version of “Holly Jolly Christmas.” The guitar solo adds spice and the whole tune is upbeat and totally joyful and jolly.
6) “Santa Baby” has been sung by many greats, with Eartha Kitt and Madonna’s versions among the best. Michael’s take on the tune is fun – made whimsical with his requests for male-associated gifts and calling Santa a “dude.” One of the album’s best.
7) “Blue Christmas” is jazzy in a great big ol’ New Orleans way. A fantastic horn and big brass band play alongside Michael’s amazing voice and great background singers. This rendition is big and full of life.
8) Michael’s original song, “Cold December Night,” is a great addition to the album. Is it a instant classic? Not sure, but it holds his own among all the beloved tunes. It’s catchy, upbeat, and has a modern sound.
9) Nothing brings you in your mind to sitting by the fire with your family faster than hearing “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.” Without making too many changes, Michael croons this tune like he was born to sing it (which he was!). It’s soft and sweet and gorgeous in every way, only more so thanks to the accompanying orchestra.
10) Hosting a party? Christmas day gift opening? There is no better soundtrack then this album start to finish. It is just perfect.
This year’s Michael Bublé NBC special features a duet with none other than the great Barbara Streisand, as well as Ariana Grande, Miss Piggy, and the Rockettes.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season!!
Michael Bublé’s Christmas in New York airs Dec. 17 at 8/7 c on NBC.